Tuesday, January 09, 2007

"The palest ink is better than the best memories"

I read this quote in Danny Gregory's web site, dannygregory.com, and it certainly captured my experience with drawing. Sketches have a way of capturing a moment that photos or memories just don't do in the same vivid way.
I took the first week of January 2007 to look back through my journals of 2006. I wanted to be reminded of all that had taken place last year, but I also desired to look with a critical eye toward the design and art of what I had produced on those pages. I kept a list of what I thought had "worked" and what had not. I hope to incorporate what was successful in the pages of 2007. Here are some of my favorite design elements from 2006:
1. Frames around my drawings or writing
2. I always like the pages that have drawings on them, usually the more time I spend on the drawing the more I like it.
3. Flowing, gyrating writing.
4. Writing around the frames
5. Columns of writing
6. Watercolor rather than the markers
7. Drawing with labeling
8. Distressed ink backgrounds
9. Letters connected to the lines above and below.
I also did better when I had a theme/design element that I continued to use for a number of weeks. I am thinking I might break the year into quarters and try to have a clear design thread, and a drawing challenge/image to work on in that quarter. I am thinking that this first quarter it may be faces and ovals. More on that in the next segment.
All three of the pages below are inspired by gifts given me by my friend, Kate. I love persimmons and one day she gave a number of wonderful bright orange globes of persimmons. I put them on the sink counter and enjoyed them for a number of days. then one early morning I brought them into the bedroom. I usually awake around 5 and have a quiet time reading my Bible, praying, and using part of the Bible reading to inspire my journal pages. The persimmons were a lovely accompaniment to God's word. The third page is a darling angelic ornament that Kate made. When we arrived home from a wonderfully adventurous Christmas in Crown King, Arizona this button angel was waiting in the mail.



 Posted by Picasa

No comments: